Monday, December 2, 2013

Day 8 - public perception

8) How do you deal with being read mis-gendered in the beginning of transitioning by people?

Since I'm not out to the public, this hasn't been a big deal. I love it, though, when I'm perceived as a woman. Especially when I'm not trying. This has happened a lot more frequently the past couple months. My hair is getting real long, my face has softened, my facial hair is almost all gone, and my chest shows with clothing that actually fits and isn't baggy. A waiter was thoroughly confused when he called us ladies seeing my long curly hair from behind. Then he saw my front and apologized. When I took off my jacket, he just gave up using any gender-specific pronouns at all. He got a big tip for being so kind. When I do go out as female, most people don't take any notice. Some give weird looks. Some stare. For now, I'm okay with whatever people see me as. But if the use female pronouns, I get a huge, broad smile on my face, especially inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment