Friday, December 20, 2013

Day 16 - Rock Anthem

16) What's your rock anthem and why

I'm not much of a music person. As a runner, I really like "Eye of the Tiger" and "Chariots of Fire". Those two songs get me fired up for runs. But I don't listen to music on runs; I'd rather have my thoughts and sounds of nature than try to listen to music on my runs!

Music is indeed powerful. I took an art appreciation class as a freshman in college to fulfill a general education requirement. The professor focused on music and read this poem to us at the end of the course, changing "Art" to "Music".
I AM MUSIC
Servant and Master am I; Servant of those dead and
Master of those living.
Through me, spirits of immortals speak the message
that makes the world weep and laugh, and
wonder and worship.
I tell the story of love, the story of hate, the story
that saves, and the story that damns.
I am the incense upon which prayers float to Heaven.
I am the smoke which palls over the field of
battle where men are dying with me on their lips.

I am close to the marriage altar, and when the graves
open, I stand nearby.

I call the wanderer home, I rescue the soul from the
depths, I open the lips of the lovers, and through
the dead, whisper to the living.
One I serve as I serve all, and the king I make my
slave as easily as I subject his slave
I speak through the birds of the air, the insects of
the fields, the crash of water on rock-ribbed
shores I am even heard by the soul that knows me in the
clatter of wheels on city streets.
I know no brother, yet all men are my brothers:
I am the father of the best that is in them,
and they are the father of the best that is in me.

I am the instrument of God. I AM MUSIC.
There are many songs, mostly hymns that inspire me. Some remind me of good times, of hard times, of emotional times. A year ago, I was really into Cristina Perri and Adele. I also like Plain White T's, Josh Groban, Depeche Mode, U2, Journey and others. But give me some good classical music over pop music any day! Bach's "Jesu Meine Freude" tops the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment