Friday, December 7, 2018

WHY

"Why do you dance?"
"Because it's always been a part of my life. It was there with my mom when I was a baby, and it's here now thanks to Odette. It allows me to live, to be myself." - Felicie in “Leap”

And this is part of why I run. Ever since coach Mason cnvinced me to join the summer track club while I was in Junior High and gave his full support and confidence in me.  He believed in me and gave me the nickname “Studmuffin.”  Then Coach Garn took note of the tiny, gawky freshman and taught me the basics about cross country running and shared fascinating stories of his adventures in running.  Mitch was a senior and was super friendly to me.  Later that year he won the state title but still took time for me.  And now Coach Roche has taken that support to the absolute, unconditional level with loads of excitement, contagious positivity, the playfulness of a puppy, and unbounded encouragement.

I run because it is a part of me, always has been.  I run because it allows me to live, to be myself.  When I am out on a run, it's just me and nature bonding ever more with each step. Left foot, right foot. Over and over again. The rhythm and predictability bring peace and calm to my otherwise frantic, dysphoric mind and body. The fascinating and natural beauty all around brings gratitude to my heart. I run for love.  Love of my family.  Love of other runners and fellow human beings, each with their unique challenges and fascinating journeys. Love of Mother Earth.  Love of myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment