Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Out There

I had the wonderful opportunity to run with an acquaintance for a few miles at Vermont 100 this year. We first met two years ago. She passed me around mile 90. I was defeated. I had been in second place all day only to drop to fifth place between miles 80 and 90. But I knew there was a tough hill the last few miles, and up hills are my strength. So after getting some water before the hill, I surged.  By the top of the hill I had reclaimed second place.  There I stayed through the short hill down to the finish. Runners second through fifth finished within ten minutes, which is very tight for a 100 miler. We won't talk about the female winner - she's amazingly fast and later that year broke the 100-mile world record. She easily beat the rest of us.

Last year, this friend of mine didn't run but was there cheering her husband. And we talked for a little bit. I couldn't remember her very well, definitely not her name. But she knew me. (I get that a lot, people remember me and know who I am even if we've only seen each other once before. And I rarely  know them or remember them). This year though, after such kindness from her and her husband last year and from talking quite a bit, I actually remembered not only her face but her name too, and her husband's.

As we were running, we chatted about a lot of things. I was in no rush since it was pretty early in the race, and I was going faster than I planned but feeling real good.  Anyway, she thanked me.  She thanked me for putting myself out there.  She works with young adults, and having my story has helped her with them.  I don't know the particulars.  Maybe one of them is transgender.  Who knows.  But I never thought this little blog reached anyone.  Much less that it helps someone.  So I will continue.  Ramblings, thoughts, struggles, triumphs.  Here they come, and they'll keep coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment