Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Day 18 - Trans laws

18) How do you feel about the trans laws where you live

I'm ashamed since I'm not very familiar with the laws in the state I reside in. I do know that employers can dismiss an employee for being transgender and get away with it. Last year, I went to the Keystone Conference in Pennsylvania. The keynote speaker talked about legislation that various groups are pushing at federal and state levels. A lot of the legislation is to get health services covered. My insurance used to deny any health service, even psychotherapy visits, that had a diagnosis treatment code anything related to being transgender. My therapist at the time instead changed the treatment code to one treating PTSD(Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder). Now the insurance company has eased back a little and covers even hormones. One thing they don't cover is any of the surgeries - I'm told that is in the works. I'm not concerned about losing my job. My job is pretty secure. Even if I did come out at work, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be fired. As for surgeries. Sure it would be nice to have that covered in case I got to that point that it was necessary. Right now though, my path is to not get surgery. As much as I want it, it's just not in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment